Monday 21 December 2015

Coconut, Mango, Millet Slice ( originally posted 15/3/2015 on From Camille's Pantry)

Coconut, Mango, Millet Slice

Coconut, Mango and Millet Slice (Photo by Daisy Hedge, 2013)
I have been working on this recipe for a few weeks. I like to experiment with different flours and recently 
as I was poking around a new Indian/African supermarket I noticed Millet flour. Apparently it is used for 
flat bread in those cultures but I have chosen to use it in baked goods. I have tried about 6 versions, 
luckily I had lots of mangos! Not only did my husband the Coeliac like it but my 3 yr old son, sister who 
is a chef and nieces and nephews all gave it the thumbs up. After so many versions I started to freeze 
it and it comes back really well from frozen. I just put a piece in the microwave for 20 secs and it is all good, 
I even put one batch in the oven at about 130 for 30 minutes and they came out sweet and warm.

One tray (approx 20x 25 cm) made 16 slices and we calculated them to be 5 weight watchers pro points 
each (my husband is doing Weight Watchers)

Ingredients 
1 1/2 cups millet flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 x 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup mango flesh
1 egg
1 cup low fat milk
1 tablespoon macadamia oil


1. Preheat oven to 150 C and line a tray with baking paper ( you need to lift this slice out of the tray so 
purely greasing a tray will not work).
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
3. Add 1/4 brown sugar and desiccated coconut to flour mix. Mix till well combined.
4. In a blender or using a hand blender combine mango and the other 1/4 cup of brown sugar. 
Place to the side to use later.
5. In another bowl mix egg, milk and oil.
6. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the wet mix to make a batter. Do not over mix. 
Best done with a wooden spoon rather than a electric mixer.
7. Put batter into the slice tray.
8. Pour mango mixture on the top of the batter to create another layer.
9. Using a knife, run the knife through the mixture ( as if cutting into to slices) so the mango blends 
with the millet batter layer.
10. Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top of the mango layer.
11. Place in oven 40-50 minutes. Watch that the coconut doesn't burn. 

The mango layer will turn to a jam and thicken as it cooks. I used the old cake testing method of seeing 
whether the cake layer was cooked by putting a toothpick in the centre and seeing if any batter stuck to 
the toothpick.

Allow the slice to cool fully before cutting into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment